A Brand New Year - Resolutions For My Studies

I have mixed feelings regarding this new year. One, excitement at the thought come Summer I will graduate; and Two, fear. I am not an anxious person, yet the thought of not completing my course and feeling overwhelmed like I had done at the end of last year fills me with dread.

The thing is, I don't want to feel dread. I want to enjoy what is the last year of my studies that will help me move on to the next step in my professional practice and to feel proud to have (finally) obtained a degree.

So, what have mistakes have I learnt from last year to make better this year?

1. To ask for help - This is my weakness; if I am confronted with a problem, I almost feel embarrassed to not know the solution or even to ask for help in the fear of being told that all that I am doing is wrong. This irrationality needs to be placed aside this year in order for me to succeed. If I can catch my worries/issues/problems/mistakes early by speaking with my supervisor, I can then ensure that the guidance I receive steers me back on the right path in order to make my studies easier than suffering in silence.

2. Organise my time - Within my practice towards the end of last Academic Year, it was tough. What made it even harder, was not sticking to designated time specifically for my studies. This year, I intend to ensure that I allow myself a designated time and to be selfish in sticking to that designated time in order to avoid feeling overwhelmed and lagging behind.

3. Read, Read, Read. Blog, Blog, Blog - This time round, I want to be more active in blogging my findings and reflections for my reading. Every time I have read one write up, I will review and reflect in a post.

4. Celebrate the small victories - For every post I make, paragraph I write, or feedback I receive and act on, I want to celebrate that small victory knowing that I am one step closer to completing my degree as well as help me break everything down into bite size chunks.


Okay - now that I have faced my mistakes and expressed my solutions to make this year better for myself, I feel a little better.

I am currently sat at work monitoring a Year 13 study class, however I do have a PPA session before lunch, which I am going to use to read over my Module 2 handbook again as well as my draft Module 2 write up from last year to identify what I can keep and what can be struck.

A first step.

Here's to a successful year for us all!

Louise x

Comments

  1. I love your honesty, I think we all feel the same when it comes to asking for help. I have a few things I need to change before I feel I can really crack on with my inquiry, had I asked for help I may have been off to a better start.

    So with excitment and a touch of anxiety, good luck and lets smash Module 3 x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts