Reflecting: How do I approach my practice?

Hi everyone, would love some feedback...

For our Module 1 submission portfolio essay, we are expected to write an introduction describing our practice with context and articulation, right?
Well, I feel I may have a start and would love to know your thoughts and confirm whether am I missing anything, and does anyone share my practice or do you differ on approach? I'm intrigued.

Okay, here we go....

On paper, I am a Youth Production Choreographer. But how do I actually approach my practice?

Within my work, I have the freedom to get creative and my process is broken down more-or-less as such:
  • Listening to the soundtrack
  • Feeling the Music and Visualising the Final Product
  • Recording myself
  • Note taking when on the move
  • Completion 
Listening to the Soundtrack:
This is the simplest yet (to me) the most effective start to my process in order to better understand the show I am working on and collectively research the content and context of each number.
As silly as it may sounds, I listen to the soundtrack and allow myself to fall away from my current reality and see where my imagination and emotion of feeling the music may lead me.
Ideas will fire (hopefully) and choreography will start to form. This will lead me on to putting it into practice.

Recording Myself:
Visual recordings and kinaesthetic movement are my top learning tools.
When my initial idea is forming from listening to the soundtrack of the show I am piecing together, I test run my ideas on the floor but recording myself as I go along. This way, I am able to watch back, pause, self-scrutinize, change up or confirm ideas.

Also, when watching back my work, my decisions are based on the perspective of three people:

The Performer -Is this interesting for the performers who will transpire my work to the stage?
The Audience - Will the audience find this interesting to watch?
Myself - Am I pushing myself as practitioner to create fun, new and exciting content?

Note Taking:
I have recorded myself, I am happy with sequences I have created, I can now take my script and start penciling in short hand notes and really bad stick figures in order to refer back to when it comes to rehearsal.


Overall, I guess you could say that I am a visualist.

Again, I would love to hear your thoughts as to how to better contextualise and articulate my intro.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts